03/11/2015

Boxer art process for my new game

Hi all, it's been a long time! I'm almost done with a new game and to celebrate this I'm coming back to my blog to give you a taste of what I'm doing.

For this new game, I've decided to create all character arts entirely by hand using ink and watercolors. I don't have much experience with watercolors so while the result is not perfect, the handmade process gives a warm, personal feel to the characters.

Step 1 : 
Sketching with a 5H pencil


Step 2 : 
Finishing up the sketches with a HB pencil

Step 3 : 
Inking. I retrace on a new piece of paper using my light-table and Faber-Castell PITT artist black ink pens.

Step 3b : 
Inking result.

Step 4 : 
Adding a bolder outline.

Step 5 : 
Before coloring, I scan the drawing and reprint it on 60 lb paper, which will hold watercolours much better than a simple 20 lb piece of paper. For skin tones, I lightly apply three different colors using watercolor pencils and then blend it with a small brush and water.

Step 6 :
Finally, I apply the last colors using Caran D'Ache's Neocolor II watersoluble wax pastels and blend it again with a small brush and water.

Final result :

No comments: